Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Oktoberfest in Honolulu

The DH spent some years in Germany when he was in the army. As a once-a-week treat, he went off base to eat in a local restaurant. He ate bratwurst, knackwurst or wiener schnitzel, with spaetzel or potatoes, and salat.

When we started spending time together, we were both in college, plus we both worked part-time. A treat was Friday dinner at Beethoven's Fifth, which may have been Honolulu's only German restaurant at the time. Somewhere, I kept a menu, and I'm sure dinner for was less than $20. For two of us! A beer or two for DH, a glass of wine for me, salat, schnitzel, pork roast or sauerbraten. I don't remember having dessert, but I do recall a shot or two of Barenjager or Jagermeister.

Since then, I've successfully made sauerbraten, salat and rotkohl - red cabbage. I was less successful with spaetzel!

When I saw a local restaurant observing Oktoberfest - Munich's harvest celebration - I convinced the DH we should go! He had the IPA, pork roast with spaetzel, potato salad and sauerkraut. I had a glass of Kenwood sauvignon blanc, the Wiener schnitzel with spaetzel and cooked apples. All quite good. We should have skipped the crab cake appetizer. And the strudel was more like a pop tart.

Sharing German food took us back in time, as well as to Germany and Austria. In fact, some of the best food was in Austria - eating game in a castle, and pork loin and salat at a friend's home! Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment