Friday, November 30, 2018

Five years

Hi
Amazing that I've been 5 years away from this.
A lot has happened.
I live in Seattle half the time. I've acclimated, so Hawaii is mostly too hot for me.
But, about FOOD. There's no place like home. This is what I cooked last night:

Plantation Special - eggs with green beans and Spam.

Which leads me to thoughts about food. Foie gras, uni and truffles are all wonderful.


But can you eat them every day?
Especially in these trying times, we want #comfortfood. Stews and soups, jook and chao, rice dishes that remind us of simpler days. Of mama. I know #mamafood is the next food trend. Whether it's piroshki or pinakbet.
Because food comforts us, triggers memories of food we ate in our childhood, or younger days.
The Usual Suspects were eating together two days ago, and talking about liver. That restaurants don't serve it. My mom would cook calves liver, but it was NYML. Not Your Mama's Liver. She would marinate it in shoyu-sugar. Sooo good! She made the best konbu maki, too. The neatest seaweed bundles.
Eat well. Be well.
It may or may not be another five years until another post!
In the meantime, you can find me microblogging on Instagram. @808Soos

No comments:

Post a Comment