Monday, June 6, 2011

A quick cucumber pickle

I couldn't resist a bag of shapely Asian cucumbers from the Blaisdell Wednesday Farmer's Market. PLUS, they were aquaponically grown! A short explanation of this is that fish are raised and the water used to hydroponically (without soil) grow vegetables.

Here's what I made:

Peel stripes from one large burpless cucumber and cut into 1/4 inch diagonal slices. Salt liberally and set aside. Sliver 2 T. sweet onion and add to cucumbers. Add more salt if necessary. If there's too much liquid, drain. If it's too salty, rinse a bit. Combine mild vinegar (I used the shiso vinegar I made here) with 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. sugar and stir into vegetables. Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro.

Update: also see JaJa Mein here and Panzanella.

2 comments:

  1. I love cucumbers although hubby has been controlling my cucumber intake lately due to the recent cucumber virus scare in Spain. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. It's no fun when you have to worry and wonder about eating something that's USUALLY healthy for you!

    ReplyDelete