Saturday, June 11, 2011

If soup could be sexy: Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with Indian Spices

If you're wondering why there are no photos in this blog, it was my conscious choice not to photograph my food. I see others doing this when I go out to eat. I don't understand how they can wait that long to taste their meals, and why they would want to lug around such big cameras. Add to that the facts that I don't have a good camera, and I'm not the best photographer. Factor in hunger to the equation, and you'll understand why photos are low on my list of priorities.

All of that said, this soup looks a lot like any orange baby food you'll find on the shelf. But it sure doesn't TASTE or smell like any baby food that I know of!

Garnet yams don’t sound as sexy as sweet potatoes, but that’s what I use. I like them better than starchy white sweet potatoes or purple-flesh Okinawan, u'ala or ube. I equate the glorious orange hue with health and nutrients. Some facts about sweet potatoes from the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/CFS-SP-1A.pdf

To start making your own bowl of sexy soup, microwave the yams in a couple of inches of water, covered, turning and repeating until just slightly soft. Cool, then peel.

  • ½ large onion, diced
  • 2 cups yams, cut into 1-in. chunks
  • 1 - ½ Tbsp. curry paste
  • 1-in. piece ginger, peeled
  • 1 - ½ cups chicken broth
  • ½ can coconut milk
Saut̩ onion in olive or canola oil until soft Рabout 3 to 4 minutes. Add yams, curry paste and ginger and stir, cooking another couple minutes. Add the chicken broth and heat through. Process with immersion blender until smooth, then stir in coconut milk and heat. Add salt and black pepper to taste and adjust spices. Serve with a wedge of lime and topped with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment