Monday, April 11, 2011

Another convert to raw beets

I was in the lunchroom, eating leftovers of lentils with carrots, 12-grain rice and sliced raw beet salad. I shared samples with an old friend and a new one. Today, the new friend told me she'd made a similar salad, and her husband loved it. You can't go wrong when you start with terrific ingredients.

Since I've gone back to work recently, I have less time to be creative in the kitchen. I'd peeled and sliced beets for a raw salad, and put the tops and stems aside for later. When I needed a vegetable side, I washed and chopped them - stems in 1-inch pieces, tops in 1-inch shreds. I sliced a quarter of an onion and a handful of oyster mushrooms and put those in a pan of heated olive oil - 1/2 tablespoon. After 5 minutes or so, I added 1/2 tablespoon of butter and the beet tops and sauteed until they started to soften. Added 2 glugs of wine and sprinkled generously with garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment