Monday, March 28, 2011

No WOW in these tomatoes, but OH, what soup!

While the Carrots with Lentils were yummy, this soup was incredible! The recipe is Suvir Saran's from his book, Indian Home Cooking. It's his mother's recipe, and delicious, hearty and warming. I've made a few adjustments - less onion, more carrot, some wine (leftover I'm trying to use up - I'm so not a drinker!) and soy milk - but otherwise follow the original pretty closely.

Why no wow? The WOW tomatoes are from the Big Island, and I picked up a bag on Wednesday from the Blaisdell farmers' market. I already had 6+ tomatoes at home, so I made this soup from them.
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup wine
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Italian or Chinese parsley, for garnish
You could chop the onion and carrot in the food processor. This is what I did, as it was used for another recipe. Saute onions and carrots in butter for 2 minutes, then add garlic and bay leaf and cook for a couple more minutes, Add tomatoes, sugar, pepper to taste, wine and water. Bring up to a boil, then turn heat down and cook for ten to 15 minutes. Add soy milk, heat through and remove bay leaf. Taste for salt and pepper, then puree with an immersion blender. Add more liquid if you want it thinner - water or soy milk.

OK, so you don't drink soy milk - use regular milk! No one notices that I use soy milk whether I make corn or clam chowder or mushroom soup - haha, fooled you! It's not milk, but it is delicious!

I served this with Italian parsley as a garnish, DH said he would have preferred cilantro.

Nevertheless, he loved it, and this soup was the star of the meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment