Thursday, November 3, 2011

You can't pay me to eat these things!

Natto - fermented soybeans. The smell and mucus texture = NO, NO, NO!

Bitter melon - a cucurbit, in the same vegetable family as cucumbers, zucchini, melons, squash. BTW, I love all those other cucurbits. Bitter melon is just THAT - BITTER! You can soak it, salt it or cook it with fatty pork, but that won't make it taste any better for me. Big, big NOOOes!

Eggplant with miso. UGH! I LOVE eggplant: marinated in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, pan roasted and topped with goat cheese, pine nuts and golden raisins. Fried and sprinkled with Gorgonzola and served with spaghetti, like Auntie Pasto's - it's so good, it's hard for me to eat anything else. Adobo-style with garlic, shoyu and a touch of vinegar - lip-smacking! Korean banchan-style: braised in liquid with white potatoes, carrots, a touch of shoyu, a pinch of sugar and salt. But NOT with miso and sugar! YIKES!!!

We were talking about natto, and the other person urged me to try it again. I told him with so many other wonderful things to eat, I was not going to waste my appetite on stinky fermented mucus bean natto!

Edited to add:

TRIPE! I do not eat it. When I was young, my mother made me cook it. In those days, it was not as well prepared for sale as it is now. You would need to cook it (stew in water) at least 3 times, changing the water. I still have no idea why you would want to eat something that tastes like rubber bands and smelled THAT BAD!

This is proof the things you are made to do/eat as a child CAN scar you for life.

For New Year's, my job was to fry the tempura. I do not need to fry ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. I smelled like cooking oil. YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment