Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dinner at Plancha

We drove up to Morning Glass in Manoa last night. We'd missed out on Bob McGee's dinner last week with mullet and opelu. sigh.

This time, it was Big Island Puuwai Ranch lamb brochettes, tzatziki sauce with Naked Cow Dairy yogurt, the brightest green olives I'd ever seen (but yum!), ono pita, cranberry bean hummus (sorry Bob, my pinto bean hummus IS better!) Also lovely salads of barley with purslane, Ma'o farms greens with a sherry vinaigrette, INCREDIBLE Hamakua tomatoes with watermelon and feta (do I remember mint, or am I making it up?) Dessert was affogato - vanilla ice cream with espresso.

The Morning Glass owner, Eric Rose, and I talked about our love of Stumptown coffee (Portland, OR) and how we'd be back there for breakfast. Promise!

Everything was fresh and delicious. Our table had 6 people and 4 bottles of wine - pretty good ratio! A rioja, valpolicella, and 2 cabs - one an organic Bonterra. 5 sane people and one maniac. You know who you are!

Our tablemates kept it interesting, and the talk ranged from rambutan to lamb brains, wallaby in the imu(!) and beyond. Yes, mostly about food.

I ate ALMOST everything on my plate, so that should tell you how good it was. I am usually the queen of the doggie bag. (Hey - breakfast, lunch or dinner the next day! Just sayin'.

It was a fun evening, and the guys at our table extended it by sharing/swapping cigars they smoked afterwards. That lasted until the Manoa mist/drizzle turned into some serious rain. Well, all good things must end!

No comments:

Post a Comment