Monday, February 21, 2011

Second Breakfast

I hate Costco. I go there, but only every 3 to 5 weeks. I know some people go there every few days, but aside from the ones who have 4 milk drinkers in their family, I just don't understand it.

My trips there involve a list, and it's usually about a dozen items, including things like steelhead salmon, rotisserie chicken, and a case of V8 juice for the DH. Yesterday, the list had 18 items on it - a lot more than usual, and I actually found only a dozen of them.

Fresh blueberries were on the list, as I'd eaten all the supermarket ones. You have to admit Costco has some lovely fruit. But when I saw the blackberries, I put the blueberries back! I also picked up a carton of strawberries. I've already eaten some of both in my second breakfast today.

I sliced a small bowlful of strawberries, added a couple of tablespoonsful of plain yogurt, drizzled with about a teaspoon of agave syrup, and topped with a couple tablespoonsful of granola. I may regret the yogurt (lactose intolerant) but it sure was good! Yes, I have to make my own granola when it runs out - anyone have a good, simple recipe?

My first breakfast today? Food writer Wanda Adams' "Moonstruck in the morning" breakfast. I made this with slices of basil tomato sourdough from the North Shore Baker Dude fried in butter, then smeared with Nigella’s onion mush. Topped with thick slices of WOW tomatoes lightly fried with the eggs. This was different, lovely, and I wasn't hungry until 11:30.

Yes, today is Monday, but DH has the President's Day holiday off, so I thought I'd give him a good breakfast!

A lot of the blackberries and strawberries are already in the freezer, so I don't have to go to Costco every few days, or even every few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment